Aguila told me that the lifeguards (of which there are 15 now, but only 3 hardcores) are trying to start teaching swimming/lifesaving workshops with the cooperation of the town. I told him I was afraid of the ocean now. He told me we’d fix that. I plan to go back and talk to him tomorrow morning.
As a anthropological field work side note, I’m following the advice of one of Brandeis’ visiting anth professors and buying something from every store in town. The idea behind the advice was that it would avoid forming alliances early in one’s research. It’s at least a way to get to know what is available here and what I’ll need to get in Pochutla.
It´s definitely strange thinking about this as fieldwork or research. What it feels like, is what I am always trying to do anyway: understand what people do and why, but now with a super legitimate reason to ask people questions! I would be very curious to hear what other filmmakers say about this process. It seems very singular to me. 
Anyone who has moved to a new place and relied on others to orient them to the rythm of life must have an idea of what this feels like. It´s a constant state of learning and questioning. I imagine that after a while, this could start to feel quite unnerving.
Nevertheless, I assume that, with time, I will feel less like a curious visitor and more like an experienced scribe. More to come on my state of mind.

2 comments:
Regarding your state of mind: I think being open to that extent is like being a baby - no ground at first to stand on. Then you start to gather things to sort of feather your comfort zone. When you start to feel unnerved, (remember that conversation we had about what buddhism does for me?) drop the story line ("I'm feeling unnerved" or "I need something"); feel the energy of that emotion as it washes over you; just experience it but don't attach an explanation or anything. Feel or watch it arise, sort of take over, and then fade. If you stay with it this way you will get past it and you'll be ok.
Re deborah' comment: well said grasshopper!
This photo of the beach at dusk is glorious. ...My neck hurts and my right shoulder. I couldn't sleep and came down for a glass of water. Haven't check your blog in many days. It's good to be down in Mexico feeling the heat with you. ...Curiosity is wonderful. I remember Jerry Seinfeld saying how he'd walk along the streets in Manhattan, staring up at the office buildings and wondering what all those people were doing in there.
Post a Comment